Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 28, 2014

ASUS Transformer Book T100

I got it from my dear husband as an early birthday gift. It's a Windows tablet with netbook roots with  a 10-inch Windows tablet that comes with a keyboard dock in the box.  The internal storage we got is a 32GB model that goes for $349. 

What's especially nice is that when the tablet is docked inside the keyboard, it stays put in the lap. As it happens, the 1,366 x 768 IPS screen offers pretty wide viewing angles anyway, with a 300-nit brightness rating allowing for easy readability under harsh fluorescent lights. So, the T100 looks like a netbook, and offers the same typing experience as a netbook. And it feels like one too: With the tablet docked so that it's in clamshell mode, the whole thing weighs 2.4 pounds (the tablet itself comes in at 1.2 pounds). It's just about as heavy as a netbook, and just as easy to carry in one hand.  

One convenient thing about having the keyboard dock in the box (aside from all that typing) is the selection of ports you'll get -- namely, a USB 3.0 socket on the left side of the dock. On the tablet itself, you'll find micro-USB and micro-HDMI ports on the right landscape edge, along with a headphone jack and microSD slot. 

Over on the left, meanwhile, is the volume rocker and Windows Home key.  One disappointment for me is there is only a rear camera. That's right, there's just a 1.2-megapixel webcam here for the occasional video chat. A bit of a surprise, given that ASUS normally puts out decent tablet cameras, but then again, it had to cut costs somehow.

The T100 is the first device equipped with one of Intel's new Bay Trail-series Atom chips -- specifically, a quad-core Z3740 processor, clocked at 1.33GHz. With the help of 2GB of RAM, the tablet handles the overhead of Windows 8.1 just fine. Performance almost always felt smooth. It also takes just 11 seconds to start up.

As for battery life, the 31Wh cell is rated for up to 11 hours of casual usage.

OK, I'll start playing with it now.

No comments: